this is a great recipe i have found browsing cooking sites and today i thought to myself that it was high time to taste them.
they are quite easy, although you have to roll them paper thin so they become crispy and nice.
the recipe called for regular flour but since i prefer whole grain i thought i'd try them the second way.
they are a great party snack, especially accompanied with a nice dip of your choice, or maybe just have them in your kitchen when you crave for something to nibble on.
i have used my pasta maker to roll them thin, i found it less messy and time saving.
if you have a pasta maker, just use the lasagne side and start passing it through the rollers from thick rolling it thin, going from number 9 to number 1 and you are done.
then you place the thin dough on a baking paper or a greased tin, cut them with the pizza cutter and bake them for 10' and you are all set.
there you go:
2 cups flour (whole grain)
1 tblsp sugar
1 tblsp salt
2 tblsp butter (i used the one with the yoghurt in it)
2/3 cups milk (i used evaporated diluted with water 50-50)
freshly ground pepper (optional)
some sesame seeds
- preheat oven to 425F (180C).
- in a large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, sesame (and the pepper). add butter and start rubbing it with your fingers working it into the flour till they become one, and there are no butter lumps in the flour.
- stir in milk. continue to knead.
- divide the dough ball in half and then these 2 halves in another 2. (so you end up with 4 balls).
- roll each ball thin with the rolling pin on a floured surface, or use the pasta maker as described above.
- transfer paper thin dough to a greased pan and cut in pieces with the pizza cutter. (you can cut them small 3cm X 3cm or larger like 5-6 cm X 5-6, depends on you)
- bake for 10 minutes. since they are whole grain and already brownish i can't quite say: bake them till golden brown :)
so before i put the crackers to the oven i slightly brush them with some drops of this garlic oil, if you are not a garlic fan you can always skip this step.